As I wrap up the past term at my current internship, I have thought long and hard about some key tips I would give to future PDXSXers.
1) Focus on being in the moment. DO NOT focus on the outcome of your internship experience. Is it a scary thing to not know what the aftermath of your 3 months of hard work will be? Absolutely. However, if you chose to dwell on getting hired out of your current internship experience you will miss the joy in learning the materials around you and the people you work with. Take a deep breath and just stay present.
2) Make as many personal relationships with your coworkers as you can. Keep them professional of course, but find a way to relate to them on a real and personal level. That way, you are blending in with the office vibe and showing that you would be an ideal candidate to work with long term. Also, it makes the time go by faster when you are having good conversation with your coworkers.
3) Make sure you ask for more opportunities if you need. Don’t be afraid to ask for more hours or more intense projects. Your boss will be impressed that you are trying to step up to the plate BUT you MUST remember, with great power comes great responsibility. If you are going to ask for more responsibility, you better be able to handle it.
4) Re-read emails or directions twice before acting upon them. Sometimes we get so excited about being given directions to complete a great project, that we read through the directions too quickly and mistakes happen. Read everything twice!
5) Mistakes happen. Take a deep breath, fix it, apologize and don’t let it happen again.